One of the purposes of this site is to teach people about personal finances so that they can manage most of their finances on their own if they so choose. One of the best ways to learn about personal finances is to subscribe to Personal Finance Insider and receive my free personal finance e-course, which covers all of the main personal finance topics.
Having said all of this, there are certain areas of personal finance where many of us need help. There are also people that prefer to work with a financial advisor since they don’t have the time to manage it themselves, they want the comfort of knowing that a professional is managing their affairs, or their finances are highly complex.
At some point or other in our lives, many of us will work with a financial advisor. One way to find a great advisor is to ask for recommendations from your friends, family, and other professionals.
Another option is to use a free service such as WiserAdvisor. WiserAdvisor screens local fee-based financial planners and investment advisors. You go on their site and indicate the area of the country where you live and what sort of services you are looking for, and they match you with various pre-screened, local, fee based financial planners and investment advisors to meet your needs.
Here are a few of the advantages of using WiserAdvisor:
- All advisors are pre-screened and must meet strict qualification standards to be included in the service
- Your contact information only goes to the advisors you are matched with, nobody else. Up to 3 advisors will contact you to discuss your needs. Advisors will also provide a free initial consultation.
- WiserAdvisor’s service is free, and you are under no obligation to use any advisor that you are matched with.
- WiserAdvisor is an independent and unbiased matching service designed to help individuals find the best financial planner or investment advisor for their unique needs. They are completely independent of all financial advisors.
- It only takes a few minutes to use the site. WiserAdvisor’s objective is to simplify the process of finding an appropriate advisor by doing much of the heavy lifting for you.
Before using any financial advisor, I highly recommend that you do the following:
- Interview them
- Understand their credentials, qualifications, education, and work history
- Understand how they will be compensated
- Ask for and check references
Should you ever require the assistance of an advisor, put in the time and effort to make sure you find one that is appropriate for you and your needs.