Welcome to PersonalFinanceInsider.com! This is a blog devoted to helping people manage their finances in a smart, simple, and responsible way that will bring greater peace, security, opportunities, and happiness.
20 facts about me:
- I am a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) and make a living providing wealth management, financial planning, and tax services to my clients.
- I’m happily married to the most amazing woman in the world
- My wife and I have 16 brothers and sisters combined (no adoptions, second marriages, etc)
- I served as a missionary for a few years in South America after graduating from high school and before starting college.
- I still speak Spanish, although it’s a little rusty.
- I have an undergraduate degree in accounting and a Masters of Taxation degree.
- My wife and I have several children and another one on the way. Our family is still growing, but likely won’t be quite as large as our parents’.
- I play the piano.
- I get dressed in the dark every morning since I don’t want to wake up my wife. I’ve been unpleasantly surprised at work on more than one occasion.
- My wife has banned me from grocery stores since I take so long trying to find the best deals possible.
- I worked as a late night custodian (and various other jobs) during college to get me through school.
- I’ve lived on 4 different continents: North America (obviously), South America, Asia, and Europe and worked professionally on 3 of them (South America was missionary work). If you have the chance to live abroad for a while, do it.
- I am a travel fanatic.
- I love playing and watching sports. I also love fishing and the outdoors in general.
- I developed appendicitis and had an appendectomy a day after starting a book called Heaven is for Real for Kids: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
about a boy who visited heaven during his emergency appendectomy. Unfortunately I didn’t get to visit heaven during my surgery. Hopefully that is not an indication of things to come.
- I love sweets. Thankfully I have a fast metabolism.
- Since I was a little boy my parents taught me to give 10 – 15% of my income to charity, which I have done my entire life.
- I don’t know how to cook. Anything. Frozen corndogs, peanut butter sandwiches, and ice cream got me through college (I know, I’m pathetic). Thankfully my wife is an amazing cook.
- I love to read. I especially love a good biography or true adventure story.
- Here are some of my favourite books, all of which are probably available at your local library or online:
- Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II’s Greatest Rescue Mission
- We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance
- Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War
- Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man’s Miraculous Survival
- Over the Edge of the World: Magellan’s Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
- Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
- Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
- The Hiding Place
- Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10